I have forgotten
my Password

Or login with:

• Facebookhttp://facebook.com/
  • Googlehttps://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id
  • Yahoohttps://me.yahoo.com
Index » Products » Formula Render (fxRender) »

Sub-Script & Values Question

Warning: imagegif(/var/www/localhost/htdocs/images/avatars/Maths/math2_50_0_thumb.gif): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/php/functions/image_fn.php on line 144
bosko\′s Photo
17 Aug 14, 11:02AM
(2 replies)
Sub-Script & Values Question
Howdy!

I'm using v4.1.0.0(beta) with Excel 2013 (64bit).

Working well for the most part but one thing is annoying me:

All the equations I create are auto sub-scripted (word?) with 1.

screen grab:
27298/fxrenderissue.jpg
+

(I grabbed the 'text' of the equation using the "Change Format" drop down box).

Also, if I manually remove the sub-scripts (in bold above) while in 'text' mode and switch back to 'Emf' or 'gif', the sub-script 1 still remains.

I've looked through a number of the tutorials (including downloading the Test Cases.xlsx workbook, all the equations render with subscript of 1.

Also -- when I press the 'Values' render button, the right hand side of the equation does switch to values, however, the left hand side does not. Is this meant to be the case? Is it possible to show values on both sides of the equation (or at least something like a=5=3+2)?

Well done on the product so far!
CodeCogs\′s Photo
25 Aug 14, 6:26PM
Hi,

Thanks you for your detailed post. The technical team all shut up shop for August, so I'm sorry for the late reply.

Everything you have shown above is by design and you can change the way this work is you goto Settings->Options on the fxRender toolbar (far right bottom).

The issue you face and one that we've pondered how to solve is this. How do we recognise the header column or row for a matrix of numbers. In your example you simply have in effect 's_σ=1.2', which is clear enough, and you could argue that this couldn't possible be a matrix, since there are no numbers to the right of 1.2. However, we've seen many example where matricies are incomplete, either containing blank values or text. So what then do we do?

We're still refining our algorithm, but the currently solution (as you'll see from the dialog box in Settings->Options) is to ask the user to identify in some way header rows for matricies. In your instance when you added '=' to the end of the variables in column B, they were identified as matrix row headings. As you'll no doubt have gathered by now, you can switch this feature on/off, and I think its fair to say that the default should be off rather than on.

Hope this help to explain some of our madness.
CodeCogs\′s Photo
25 Aug 14, 6:33PM
Regarding your second issue with Values. This is also by design and again you can adjust this within Settings->Options.

Personally we think its rather odd when you select the Value buttons that it says 123=100+23, since invariable you already know the value since thats shown in the cell. But we can see this might be useful for some so you can set this in the options.

Regarding changing the text within 'Text' view and going back to EMF format and hoping to see this change, I'm afraid that isn't supported directly as you've tried it. The 'Text' view of the core equation is exactly that, its representation of the equation in LaTeX format. Now if you what to hand craft your own equation if you copy that text from 'Text' view, then paste this into a new cell, making sure you add a single quote at the start, then render by pressing the 'x=' button in the top left, you'll get what you wished for.

Unfortunately the tutorials are a little our of date, but we will try to address this in the next month.

Thanks for some great questions.
Currently you need to be logged in to leave a message.