Install - for Excel 2007
Follow these installation to install fxRender on Excel 2007:
Step 1 - Download
Download fxRender by pressing this button:
This version will also work with Excel 2010 and Excel 2013, although additional .NET libraries may have to be installed. Ideally use the compilation designed for the version of Excel you use.
- The file "setup.exe" will usually be saved in your download directory.
Step 2 - Installation
- Make sure you close any running copies of Microsoft Excel.
- Locate "setup.exe" within the download directory and 'double click' to run.
Finding your downloads
- In Chrome and Firefox, recent downloads are shown in the status bar along the bottom of the browser. Simply double click the 'setup.exe'
- In Internet Explorer, an white/orange bar will appear from the bottom of the browser with options to 'Run', 'Save' or 'Cancel'. Select 'Run'.
- Alternatively open the Windows 'File Explorer' program and select the 'downloads' folder.
- When you run setup.exe the following panel should open:
- Verify that the publisher is 'Zyba Limited' and select 'Run'
- The 'setup.exe' will install (as required) the following:
The Microsoft .NET Framework (pronounced dot net) is a software framework developed by Microsoft that runs primarily on Microsoft Windows. The .NET Framework is intended to be used by most new applications created for the Windows platform.
It is essential for fxRender to work, as it provides functionality for the user interface, data access, cryptography, numeric algorithms, and network communications.
The fxRender installer should automatically install this. If it has problems (for example you are operating behind a corporate firewall), then you need to installed this manually from Install Microsoft .NET 3.5 and restart this installation step.
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Installation
- When .NET Framework 3.5 installs the following setup panel will appear:
- Press the 'Accept' button and wait for the download to complete.
Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO) is a set of development tools available in the form of a Visual Studio add-in (project templates) and a runtime that allows Microsoft Office 2003 and later versions of Office applications to host the .NET Framework and expose their functionality via the .NET system.
This is essential for fxRender to work as it allows the .NET library and Excel to work together.
The fxRender installer should automatically install this. If it has problems (e.g. If you are operating behind a company firewall), then you will need to manually installVisual Studio for Office system 3.0 Runtime, and restart this installation step.
Visual Studio for Office system 3.0 Runtime Installation
- When 'Visual Studio for Office system 3.0 Runtime' installs an installation screen appears, but there is no need for you to do anything.
The fxRender installation requires an Internet connection to validate the downloaded binaries against a secure key held at CodeCogs. This is purely a security measure to ensure that your copy of fxRender hasn't been tampered with (e.g. by virus or hacker).
- fxRender is only installed once all necessary prerequisites are installed. The following panel will appear:
- Click 'Install' and the installation should complete unaided.
- On completion press 'Close' the finsih the installation.
Step 3 - Registration
- The first time you use fxRender it needs to be connected the Internet to obtain an activation key - even for the Trial Period.
- Start Microsoft Excel and select to the 'CodeCogs' panel:
If you see the Network button in the toolbar, then fxRender is having difficulty connecting to the network. Select this button to configure your network settings.
fxRender needs to be able to connect to the Internet to:
- Activate and Register the product, which includes download a valid licence key.
- Generate equations using the our online LaTeX engine, to generate 100% LaTeX compliant output.
- Connect to our online rendering engine (see CodeCogs Equation Editor) to publish equations online.
fxRender will try to automatically find an external connection to the Internet. However, for better speed, we recommend you configure the settings according to your network (a chat to your IT department or system administrators might be needed).
- You can always make changes to Network Settings by clicking on which appears under the 'help' drop-down menu on the toolbar. If there is no current network connection you also see a larger button on the toolbar.
- The default is 'Use IE proxy settings', which typically finds a connection - this leads to slower connection performance, so should be avoided if possible.
- If you are connected directly to the Internet, then the fastest connection is 'No Proxy'.
- If you are within a company and you know the name of the 'Proxy server' (ask IT), then 'Manual proxy setting' is best.
- If your corporate network is configured correctly, then 'Use proxy auto-detection (WPAD Protocol)'. This should automatically find a PAC file with appropriate proxy settings for your location. PAC files are ideal for users who are routinely moving about.
If you see the Register button in the toolbar, then fxRender has already been activated and you can start using it. Please select this button before your 15 day trial expires to register and buy a licence to use fxRender for longer periods.
The registration button will divert you to a special CodeCogs webpage, where you can securely register you installation of fxRender.
Once you have registered and bough a licence this button will disappear from the toolbar, however you can still access this page by going to the 'help' drop-down menu on the toolbar.
Within two week of your licence expiring, this button will reappear, to remind you that it needs extending.
Step 4 - Final word
- fxRender should now be installed and will be available when-ever you start Microsoft Excel
- Please recommend this tool to your friends and colleagues. Email recommendations will earn both you and your recommended friend additional free usage.
- To gain general help with using each button on the fxRender hover the mouse over the buttons for a few seconds.
- More comprehensive assistance is available online from:
- Above all: Enjoy!
Add-in installs but CodeCogs ribbon does not appear when Excel starts
Please ensure the following are installed:
- Excel .NET Programmability Support must be installed. If during the original installation of Microsoft Excel you deselected this option or you installed Excel before any of the .NET Frameworks, then follow these steps:
- Open the Control Panel (Windows Start - Control Panel)
- If you are in 'Category' view, select 'Programs'
- Select 'Programs and Features'
- Find 'Microsoft Office 2007'
- Right click and select 'Change'
- Select 'Add or Remove Features':
- Select the .NET Programmability Support, and enable 'Run from My Computer':
- Open the Control Panel (Windows Start - Control Panel)
Installer does not work
If you are unable to complete the installation:
- Windows Vista and Windows 7: After the tool is installed, the Windows installer may displayed a dialogue saying "This program might not have been installed correctly". This is a known bug with Windows installer and can be ignored.
Follow these instructions to uninstall the add in:
- From the 'Start Menu', select 'Control Panel'
- Depending on your view, select either:
- 'Programs and Features'
- 'Uninstall a program' under 'Programs'
- Find 'fxRender (for Excel 2007)'
- Right click and select 'uninstall'