Transmission of Power
Key FactsGyroscopic Couple: The rate of change of angular momentum () = (In the limit).
- = Moment of Inertia.
- = Angular velocity
- = Angular velocity of precession.
Power Transmission In A Pipe
23287/transmission_of_power_1.png cannot be found in /users/23287/transmission_of_power_1.png. Please contact the submission author.
Volume is the quantity of three-dimensional space enclosed by some closed boundary.
Power is the rate at which work is done, expressed as the amount of work per unit time and commonly measured in units such as the watt and horsepower.
The Conditions For Maximum Power Transmission
The Efficiency Of Power Transmission For Maximum Power
- This is given by:
The condition for Maximum Power transmitted is rarely used in practice since:
- The efficiency of transmission is low and that means that water is wasted;
- The velocity in the pipeline is high and this can give rise to dangerous Water Hammer effects when valves are closed.
23287/transmission_of_power_2.png cannot be found in /users/23287/transmission_of_power_2.png. Please contact the submission author.
23287/img_0001_6.png cannot be found in /users/23287/img_0001_6.png. Please contact the submission author.
The Head Lost In The Nozzle
The Nozzle Diameter For Maximum Power Transmission
- a) It has been shown that the maximum Power transmission through a pipe lie occurs when the head lost due to friction is a third of the total head.
- b) from first principles
Jet ReactionThe jet reaction is the backward force exerted on the nozzle and the pipe and is equal and opposite to the force exerted by the jet on a fixed plate. i.e. The jet reaction = the mass of fluid passing through the jet per second the change in velocity.
Therefore the Jet Reaction will be
The Efficiency Of Power Transmission For Maximum Jet Reaction
- The efficiency,
Example - Example 1
- The coefficient of velocity for the jet.
- The head lost in the nozzle.
- The horse power available in the jet.
- a) The Coefficient of Contraction, is given by:
- b) Using Equation (5)
- c) The horse power of the jet is dependent upon the weight of water per second and the head of water in the jet
Horse power will be:
- a) The coefficient of velocity is
- b) The head lost in nozzle is
- c) The horse power available in the jet is